Expert Scar Revision Treatments in New Jersey
Most people have had some type of scars as it is the body’s natural healing process. Your body’s healing process involves the building of tissue to repair the wound or injury. Scars can come in all sizes and are typically a result of accidents, burns, surgical incisions and acne. Luckily, for most people the scar will fade away overtime. However, this is not the case of some types of scars resulting in very noticeable scars on the face and body.
While moles can be benign, the first step is to have your mole examined by a physician to make sure that it is benign before a cosmetic removal is done. Dr. Sheila Bond will conduct an examination and advise you if you are a candidate for cosmetic mole/beauty mark removal.
Dr. Shelia Bond, board certified plastic and reconstructive surgeon, offers several types of treatments that can help scars look less noticeable. This treatment process is called scar revision.
What Are The Different Types Of Scars?
There are three main types of scars that develop based on type of injury to the skin. Also, there are subtle scars that are noticeable due to discolored skin or skin irregularities. Acne scars fall into this category of subtle scars.
The other types of scars are more noticeable due to the size, thickness, and shape of the scar(s) on the skin. These include:
- Hypertrophic Scars are a thickening of the skin that is raised and red in appearance and occurring on the wound site.
- Contractures are more difficult type of scar to treat as they cover a larger area of the skin. This type of scarring is seen after a burn. They are called contracture scars as they restrict skin movement.
- Keloids are quite noticeable as they are thick clusters of scar tissue that are larger than the wound or incision area on the skin. Keloids are more commonly found on darker skin tones.
How Can Scars Be Treated?
Dr. Shelia Bond will recommend an appropriate scar revision treatment after she examines the scars. The treatment ranges from lasers to chemical peels (commonly used for acne scars) to surgery for more significant reconstruction of the skin.
The scar revision treatments offered at the Body and Face Cosmetic & Plastic Specialists, NJ include the following:
- Scar Revision Surface treatments to smooth and soften the surface skin of the scar, lighten the pigmentation, and stimulate healthy skin regrowth. Treatments used includes lasers and/or chemical peels.
- Facial Scar Revisions with Injectable Dermal Fillers are used to reduce the appearance of the scars, specifically sunken scars that are typically the result of acne.
- Injections of Corticosteroid to reduce the size of a keloid scar.
- Skin Revision Surgery is a more complex procedure that requires skin grafts or skin flaps to address a large area of skin damage. A board certified plastic and reconstructive surgeon such as Dr. Bond is specially trained for this type of surgery, especially for skin cancer patients.
- Z-plasty is another surgical procedure for repositioning skin and creating angled skin flaps.
If you are troubled by the appearance of scarring on your face or body and have tried topical creams and ointments that are not effective, schedule your consultation with Dr. Sheila Bond to discuss scar revision treatments.
Patient Referral Bonus
Refer a friend and receive a $500 credit towards your future surgery procedure. Click here for more information.
Visit our plastic / cosmetic surgery office located in Montclair, New Jersey (NJ). We serve patients from the following area, such as Essex, Hudson, Passaic and Sussex counties, as well as Jersey City, Newark, NJ and all surrounding areas including New York (NY).
We look forward to meeting you in person.